On my way home from Whole Foods this afternoon, I felt a rush of pleasure over taking care of myself with fresh, organic food. It’s a way self-love manifests for me.
It occurred to me that it would be fun to write a post on this subject. It will be even more fun if you play along by telling me what self-love looks like in your life.
In no particular order, self-love shows up in my life in these ways:
- Moving when my body wants to, and resting when it doesn’t
- Saying no when something doesn’t feel right or I can’t give what the other person needs
- Genuinely loving and being kind to others (rather than pretending and then being resentful)
- Refusing to allow people to hurt me, and, as needed, stepping away from toxic people and relationships
- Doing healing work
- Keeping my Subaru clean and my house sort of clean (could use a little more self-love with the latter)
- Talking with or emailing girlfriends nearly every day
- Listening to good music and dancing
- Respecting my highly introspective nature by journaling, meditating, reading spiritual and metaphysical writings, hiking in the woods, and much more
- Speaking up for myself, being my best advocate
- Accepting myself exactly as I am
Well, hmmm, that wasn’t exactly fun, but it was a great reminder that I’m caring for myself in many ways every day. I’m grateful for that.
Care to share how you express self-love?